Thursday, January 29, 2015

Distance Education Course in Environment Management at IISc, Bengaluru.

Link
http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in

Introduction
For last 2-3 years I had been looking for a short term course to learn about 'environment related concepts'. I looked at local organisations- BNHS, IIT-B, NMIMS, Mumbai University, Pune University and a few NGOs in Mumbai and Pune- none offered anything. (Bachelors, Masters and Phd are available). I wanted a course that was short, not too demanding (because I already have a packed schedule) yet thorough and intellectually engaging. I also needed someone credible to teach/ be in- charge of this course. 'Environment Management'- Distance Education Programme by Dr T V Ramachandra of Indian Institute of Science, fit the bill.

Costs
The course is headquartered in Bangalore- so I had to travel for the contact programme and could not expect to avail freely of reference material from library/ regular interpersonal contact with faculty.  Thus even if the course fee was an extremely cheap Rs 15000/- , eventually the expenses came to 3 times of that. But still, it was worth every paisa and more.

Faculty
Dr TV Ramachandra (DRTVR) is the course coordinator and in charge. Dr T V R is an accomplished environmentalist. Other than having excellent academic credentials, he has several publications in prestigious journals and is a successful environment activist, too. Dr Harish Bhat's lectures are very engaging and informative. Dr TVR invites guest faculty and student lectures, which are also veryhigh quality.

Course Format
Sir is a very good teacher- a visionary one- the way he has thought out and implemented this course is quite amazing- there is  good reference material, reading list, interesting lectures- plus a wonderful mix of students from different backgrounds. Every student even gets a chance to polish skills of reading, writing, asking questions, summarising, giving opinion, presenting, chairing sessions, group discussion, leading and following. All in all- very ideal for all- round development of every individual student- in addition to giving knowledge about environment.

The assesments are thus all- round. There is constant evaluation by watchful faculty, plus assignments, projects and 2 exams.

Facilities
The IISc campus and fieled- trip sites are also very appropriate. The calm, cool atmosphere is conducive to relaxed learning. Sir also proved to be a very good host- as all arrangement for accommodation and food very excellent, overall. I never got a chance to visit library. But my course mates did and were happy- they also got good inputs from Sir's Department and colleagues.

Classmates
Every batch is bound to be different. Our batch of 2014- I think was among the best. As a Psychiatrist I know that it is quite unusual for 40 people, from competitive backgrounds to get along well. But we bonded very well. I found my course- mates to be very intelligent, decent and I learnt a lot of things from them. We also had a wonderful time, otherwise. The class mainly consisted of engineers and architects and IT professionals.

Course Level
Actually, I felt I was delving much too deep into certain technical concepts- more than I cared for. This was because I was looking for an 'introductory course' and was getting more like a 'professional one'. Nevertheless with persistent, gentle but firm encouragement from Sir I was able to take the subject in the right spirit and eventually complete the course.

Relevance
I have no doubt that my course mates from engineering and architecture backgrounds have found the course very relevant and achieved value-addition to their professions. I feel very lucky that I was able to do this course. But I admit that it was tough to concentrate on a subject that did not directly deal with humans. Very few people from the medical/ social science background may choose to do this course because of its very ‘engineering’ and ‘non human’ feel.This  is the only drawback of the course.


 A significant number of medical, social science and managerial professionals need to be given concepts of environment management. As they deal directly with people they can influence policies or formulate plans. And many are eager to know. So till such a time as an introductory- level course becomes available, I would recommend this course to them.

I sincerely wish that the Maharashtra Government and MCGM deputes at least 3-4 people from their Departments every year to this course.  It is really good and will benefit Maharashtra enormously.

No comments:

Post a Comment