Thursday, January 22, 2015

BIRDS IN VILE PARLE EAST

THIS POST HAS LOT OF PHOTOS. NONE OF THE PHOTOS ARE TAKEN BY ME. I GIVE FULL CREDIT TO ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHERS.


Parlekars are lucky to have a fair number of bird species residing and visiting them regularly.

  1. House Sparrow- spread all over Parle
  2. Red vented Bulbul- in wooded areas
  3. Magpie Robin- seen singing blissfully from tops of buildings or tall trees. Now is the time they have started. Sometimes it is difficult for me to do consultations as I am distracted by their lovely voices and perfect melodies
  4. Rose ringed Parakeet- rumbuctious groups making a racket in the early mornings 
  5. Kite- Unsually nest on tall coconut trees.
  6. House Crow- Well we know they are everywhere
  7. Rock Pigeons-
  8. Barn Owl- Flat faced, beige coloured- usually live under flyover- visit residential areas at night
  9. Barn Owl

  10. Purple rumped sunbird- The forenoon visitor to all balconies with blooms. Commonly mistaken for 'hummingbird' by Parlekars
    male sunbird

    1. female subird
  11. Greater Coucal- Some lucky buildings with old trees surrounded by bushes and quiet shaded areas. Thought to be 'lucky' to spot them
  12. White breasted King fisher- Near some old wells. I have only heard calls, never seen one
  13. White spotted/ browed fan tail flycatcher- Pretty little active bird- chirping- hopping from branch to branch with tail spread out like a fan. Spotted at height of about 1st-2nd floor of buildings on leafy trees
  14. Scaly breasted munia- I dontknow whether they live here. But I have seen them frequently swinging on high wires or thin branches
  15. Cuckoo- Both male and female. Parlekars find them irksome because of their habit of singing loudly starting at 4 am at the peak of summer holidays. It is notable that I did not hear any call in market area, and the calls have perceptibly decreased from near my home. In fact last season I did not hear a single 'jugalbandi' between competing Cuckoos though I spent almost the whole 4 months in Parle only
  16. Copper smith barbet- This absolutely ravishing beauty with a red spot above the beak and a helmet-like design on head is out now- eating the plentiful fruits of Banyan trees. 3 days ago I counted a dozen of them on the Banyan tree outside my balcony. Their tuk-tuk has not yet started that much
  17. Common Myna- I am observing these birds more often now
  18. Tailorbird- Usually found in bushes- Parle does not have much bush. I have always noted these birds on high branches outside my window on 5th floor or even higher- and my husband was really surprised that a 'bush-bird' had come so high. I also wonder where it nests


Migrant species

  1. Golden Oriole- winter migrant . Described earlier
  2. Pied crested cuckoo- heralding monsoon. I have seen only once- 8 years ago. Incidentally it was the time I was expecting my son

More images will be added later


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Can you please let me know the location at which I could spot a barn Owl in Vile Parle (East). It would be great if you could mention a particular location or housing society where I could see the Owl.

    Thanks
    Sachin

    ReplyDelete