Saturday, February 20, 2016

GROW FRESH AIR


I have always maintained a small garden in my house. Not only that gardening is among my favourite hobbies, but also I felt I could get fresh air. My garden also helps to keep the dust out, noise pollution is minimised and has a cooling effect on my home. The garden also uses up 30- 40% of my kitchen waste directly as mulch (the rest of it is converted into manure and then used in the garden).

In 2014, I became interested to find out which particular species of plants could help to maximise the air improving effects with minimum resources, mainly water. Someone told me that the ficus species (peepul, banyan) are very good for this purpose. As these are not ‘garden plants’ per se, I adapted the idea to my scale by growing them at bonsai level. But their growth is very very slow and I was thinking how much of a logic there is, in taking this further. Good part is- they are strong plants and need watering only once a week.

Last week I got forwarded this ted talk video and I am really happy to discover this piece of research. See it first:





This seems an elegant solution. But in a city like Mumbai, maintaining 10 plants per person indoors is not going to be possible. Space can be minimised with hydroponics, but this has to be proved by trying it out first. The three plants are small in size and can be kept outdoors also in shaded areas. So my idea is to see if they can be kept in building premises, on stair landings, parking areas and such other spots as much as possible. At least two plants can be kept in each room, which can provide some degree of air purification. The plants also do not require frequent watering or other fussing over, so it is a good idea to have them around. Only I need to check if the palms sold in nurseries are areca palms. The other two plants are quite easily available.


This idea is worth taking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment