Wednesday, May 13, 2015

KHANDYA ALA........ANOTHER BIRD IN PARLE

White- breasted Kingfisher or Khandya


Like all Parlekar mothers, I was up at 5am cooking for my son's lunch-box.....and I could not believe my ears- a Khandya was calling. Although I could hear the call loud and clear- I dismissed it as being very unlikely and got on with my task.

Next day I heard the call again. This time I decided to investigate and there it was- a beautiful specimen sitting on the wire opposite Pethe building on Chittaranjan road. Calling loudly. I showed it to my husband and the sighting was confirmed. Actually I had spotted this bird at same site many years ago.....since forgotten. 

So Parlekars- we can one more species to our family.

But now I am curious as well as worried. Where does this individual live? Is it alone? How can we ensure its safety? Folks, this is surely PARLE's endangered individual- and I dont know what we should do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment